Saturday, October 07, 2006

Whta's hers is hers, what's his is hers

It's offical, the Compaq died. So, I have *borrowed* DH's laptop for the time being. He assures me this is a temporary situation and that I must acquire my own in the near future. The good news is, the hard drive did not die so we were able to recover everything including our many pics and tons of knitting patterns I had downloaded.

On to the knitting! It's a little late, but here's my Socktoberfest Week 1 post.

* When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

After reading many many blog posts about socks, I decided to give them a shot in March 2006. I got a free pattern off of the internet, bought some very colorful yarn and started knitting. It took me several months to finish the first pair with the help of my knitting teacher.



* What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair was knit from a basic in the round, two by two rib leg with stockinette foot in Schachenmayr Crazy Cotton color 89. They have held up great considering I've only worn them around the house about 4 times.

* What would you have done differently?
Other than pick something besides 100% cotton, not much. They were a great beginner sock and the bright colors kept me interested.

* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Now that I'm more into knitting socks, I have started a sock stash. I am currently knitting with Opal and enjoy it. I made my mom a pair of socks in Sockotta and it was okay but not my favorite. I am dying to try some Koigu and Lorna's Laces.

* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

So far, I'm torn between dpns, and 2 circs. I started on dpns but took a class this summer on 2 circs. I think I will probably continue to knit both ways. As for Magic Loop, I haven't tried this yet and I don't know if I will.

* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

So far, all of the socks I have made have flap heels. I'd like to try short-row though.

* How many pairs have you made?
I am currently working on my third pair of socks, the Dublin Bay pattern.

No comments: