Sunday, June 25, 2006

Some like it hot

Personally, I can't stand it. It's been so hot here in the Midwest that I just have no desire to do anything including knit. I did get some knitting done yesterday afternoon however during a brief rain shower. I finally finished knitting Sophie. It was my first i-cord experience so I think it could have been better. Here's a pic before felting.



I also knitted another watering can dishcloth. It's such a quick and easy knit. I spend a lot of time reading knitting books and blogs and felt ashamed of my lack of knitting so I cast on this week and finished it up.



I've been looking through knitting books, blogs, and listening to a lot of knitting podcasts lately. I have come to the conclusion that to feel like a real knitter, I knit to make something more complex, more substantial, than washcloths, scarves, and hats. I have decided I want to make a shawl. I have a couple of patterns I really like, one is lace, the Perfect Pie Shawl in Weekend Knitting. I need to decide if I want to try the lace first or the other pattern from Knitting To Go. Of course this means a trip to the LYS to get some yarn either way. It seems like everyone is knitting lace this summer so I thought about getting on the bandwagon but at the same time, I'm afraid it might be too advanced for me right now and I really don't have someone to help me if I get stuck (I'm a visual person so I need a warm body to actually show me how something is done.) I'm also in dire need of a ballwinder (see previous posts for ballwinding disaster at home.) Our knitting group will hopefully start back up after Labor Day, I might wait to start the lace shawl then.

3 comments:

GamecockDoc said...

You should totally try lace. It really isn't bad. If you can follow instructions, you can do it. The current issue of Interweave Knits has a great article on lace with lots of great tips.

But there's nothing wrong with knitting dishcloths and scarves. Whatever you enjoy knitting is what you should knit!

JenBin said...

Cute dish cloth! I've done one that had a peace sign in it like that.

Melissa said...

cute bag and dishcloth!