Saturday, February 25, 2006

Dishcloth Fever!

Lately I've gotten into knitting dishcloths. Dishcloths, you say? Back in the days before dishwashers we used dishcloths to wash dishes by hand. How old fashioned is it to knit these when hardly anyone would use them? I found it to be a great learning experience. You get to practice stitches and patterns without a long term commitment, especially if you have to rip out rows.

In my dishcloth affair I have learned to increase, decrease, and to rely on a row counter. I also learned not to take a complicated project to knitting group because it is so easy to lose what row you are on while gabbing. I have thoroughly enjoyed knitting dishcloths. Now I plan on sending them to my mom and great aunt who will thoroughly enjoy using them, or not using them, and telling all of their friends that I knit it for them.

Here is the first dishcloth I knit. It was knit on the diaganal so I learned to increase and decrease.



My latest discloth is called Simple Weave. It's really hard to see the pattern with a variegated yarn. It turned out well but if I ever knit it again, I will definately use a solid color.

1 comment:

AmyArtisan said...

Your dishcloths look great. My grandma taught me how to knit using the diagonal dishcloth pattern - I know make it (much) larger as a baby blanket for friends & family. Are you aware of the Monthly Dishcloth KAL? It's a great way to learn some new things (& make dishcloths at the same time).